Want to convert between joule, calorie, and BTU? With this Energy conversion calculator, you can easily convert the most common units of energy.
More Related calculator
|Joules calculator||Kinetic energy calculator|
|capacitor joule calculator||Gravitational potential energy calculator|
What is Energy?
Energy is measured as the capacity to do work. It is a scalar quantity having an SI unit the same as the work. joule(J)
Energy, in physics, is the property that must be transferred to an object to perform mechanical work on or to heat the object.
1 Kilojoule(KJ) = 10³ J
Unit of Energy
The unit of energy is joule (j) and the CGS unit is erg but also Kilojoules(Kj), Megajoules(Mj), Calorie(Cal), Kilocalorie(kcal), Megacalorie(Mcal), Watt-hours(Wh), Electron volt(ev), British Thermal Unit(BTU).
List of Energy Units with symbol
|British Thermal Units||BTU|
Types of Energy
- The energy possessed by a body due to its temperature is called heat energy
- The energy required to maintain the flow of current in an electrical appliance is called electrical energy.
- The energy absorbed or released during a chemical reaction is called electrical energy.
- The energy absorbed or released during nuclear fission or nuclear fusion is called nuclear energy.
- The energy due to motion is called kinetic energy. (KE = 1 / mv²)
- The energy due to position (height and depth)is called potential energy. (PE = mgh)
Law of Conservation of Energy
According to the law of conservation, energy can only be transformed from one form to another form, It can neither be created nor be destroyed. e.g., When an electrical bulb is on then electrical energy is converted into heat energy and light energy.
The total energy of any object is constant, PE + KE = constant
Energy Conversion Table
|Joule||Kilojoule||Calorie||British Thermal Unit|
|1 J||0.001 Kj||0.23901 Cal||0.00095 BTU|
|2 J||0.002 Kj||0.47801 Cal||0.00190 BTU|
|3 J||0.003 Kj||0.71702 Cal||0.00284 BTU|
|4 J||0.004 Kj||0.65602 Cal||0.00379 BTU|
|5 J||0.005 Kj||1.19503 Cal||0.00474 BTU|
|6 J||0.006 Kj||1.43404 Cal||0.00569 BTU|
|7 J||0.007 Kj||1.67304 Cal||0.00664 BTU|
|8 J||0.008 Kj||1.91205 Cal||0.00758 BTU|
|9 J||0.009 Kj||2.15105 Cal||0.00853 BTU|
|10 J||0.010 Kj||2.39006 Cal||0.00948 BTU|