Free online rate of change calculator – calculate rates of change in points (x1, x2 ) (y1, y2) and also changes in output and change in input
Rate of change formula
Formula finding the slope of the line and rate of change
ROC = (y2- y1) / (x2 – x1)
Rate of change = Change in output / Change in input
- R = Rate of Change
- Y1 = y-coordinate of point one
- X1 = X-coordinate of point one
- Y1 = y-coordinate of point two
- Y2 = y-coordinate of point two
How to calculate the rate of change?
The Rate of Change can be calculated using the following steps:
- Choose two points on a straight line.
- Calculate the difference in the y-coordinates of the two points (y2- y1)
- Calculate the difference in the x-coordinates of the two points (x2 -x1)
- Divide the difference in the y-coordinates by the difference in the x-coordinates. = (y2 -y1) / (x2 -x1)
- The result of this calculation will be the Rate of Change.
If the two points on the line are (2, 5) and (4, 8), then calculate the rate of change.
Difference of Y-coordinates = Y2 – Y1 = 8 – 5 = 3
Difference of X- coordinates = X2 – X1 = 4 – 2 = 2
Rate of Change = (y2 – y1) / (x2 -x1) = 3 / 2 = 1.5
How to use the rate of change calculator
Enter the first point (x1, y1) in the input field and the second point (x2, y2) in the input field. Then click calculate button. You get a rate of Change or slope of the line, but if you enter the Change in output and Change in input value, select the second tab, then enter all values.